Saturday, March 6, 2010

Shanghai-Day 1

We flew out of Guilin after only a day to have a bit of a lengthier stay in Shanghai.
We wandered from our gorgous hotel to People's Park (see below). We stoped to try and figure out a game plan of where to head and in the meantime two little girls sat next to us. I glanced up to see their father with a camera so I appologized and moved to hop out of their picture. They all jumped up to stop me and urge me back into place. Then I realized that they had been trying to covertly grab a picture with me (a perfect stranger). Upon discovery they gave up the game and enthusiastically wrapped their arms around us for a picture. It was definitely not the last time we ended up in a stranger's pictures.

After that we headed up to the 33rd floor of some building to have a look at the city and grab a drink.

I got the yummiest coffee milkshake!
We watched the lights come on and then hoped a train to the Pudong side to see the skyscrapers and find the Bund Sightseeing tunnel.

We couldn't find the tunnel, but we did stumble into this! People setting off dozens of paper lanterns.
In the excitement, I failed to immediately realize how dangerous they were and what a terrible idea it is. The lanterns often fail to take off at all, but when they do they usually get caught in the nearby trees. Fire and all.
When they do take flight, often the smoldering ember falls from the sky onto the sidewalk below, filled with unsuspecting pedestrians.

2 comments:

  1. Did you figure out why they would want to take a photo with perfect strangers? I have a friend who loves to take photos where there's a tree or a building in the background and in the photo, it looks like it's coming out of the person's head! Their whole family loves to take these kind of photos! Fun, but weird!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I keep saying this...but I mean it...I love the photos!

    ReplyDelete