Saturday, March 6, 2010

Shanghai-Day 3

We had a lazy start to the day but once we headed out we stumbled upon some old friends from Guilin:



We finally found Yang's Fried Dumplings, right on the corner of our hotel! They definitely lived up to their reputation for best soup dumpling-we returned to eat them again before we left. Best food you'll get in Shanghai. And dirt cheap, too.

We wandered back over to People's Park and after a cold reception at the Museum of Contemporary Art and a stop by the Expo Museum we stumbled into this fellow, writing unknown messages with a water soaked brushed. I am especially fond of him.
Despite warnings from the hotel staff that it was far too complex, Jac and I managed to hop a LOCAL bus all the way to a fishing village outside the city. Famous for their unique bridges, it was packed with people selling and buying food and souvenirs. Still really great.







When I first used to visit Lauren and Jac in New York (circa 2002 and the 6th grade), I dreamed of buying up the little turtles in China town and setting them free to live in the wild, open country of Central Park. Lauren and Jacquie were less enthusiastic about the idea and it never did come to fruition. Little did they know how destined I was for China back then. They sold fish and turtles on the bridge for tourists to buy and set free in the river. By doing so you save the animals life and earn yourself a bit of good luck.






2 comments:

  1. Where do they get the fish and turtles for you to set free?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've set baby sea turtles free on the beaches in Cancun! It was exhilarating! I loved it! I can understand how you felt! You two are doing such a great job of seeing the Shanghai area - and not just what most tourists see!

    ReplyDelete